Location: Bucharest, sector 3
Access: Calea Victoriei, no. 12
The National Philatelic Museum was established in 1891. You cannot speak about the history of philatery (stamp collecting) without taking into consideration the postal service’s history. From ancient times, the Post was considered a way of communication which was especially used by the rulers and those times with high positions in the society. The messages were sent on horseback. Eventually, the postal service developed when it started to send packages also. In Romania, it developed simultaneously with the history and economy. After the creation of Moldavia and Romania, communication was made through courier horsemen, who delivered orders or brought news. In order for the news to get faster to their destination, the locals were supposed to provide horses for the messangers. The places where horses were shifted were selected by the state and were called “menziluri”. However, the costs were paid by the community. In 1775 Alexandru Ipsilati modified the postal service, so that the state had to pay for the post maintenance. Also, the post was accessible to the private persons, if they paid, of course, and the horses had to be bought, not indented. From the 19h century, the postal service improves, as the number of routes was increasing and the services area expanded. In 1854, the first telegraph line and the first telegraph offices are established between Giurgiu and Bucharest. In 1858 the first postal stamps called “cap de bour” appeared in Moldavia. In 1865 appear the uniforms for the personnel, as well as the rural postal service. In the 19th century the post was one of the most important state institutions, since the establishment of the Universal Postal Union in 1874.
Philatery starts with the use of the “cap de bour” stamps, which were emitted in Moldavia in 1858. Rowland Hill was the first one in the world to introduce stamps and also the first one to initiate the stamp exchange. Stamp collecting began in Romania in 1860. The first collectors were Dimitrie C. Butculescu, Constantin Moroiu, Al. Cantacuzino. In January 1881, the first philatelic magazine “Timbrophilo” is published. It is followed by the publishing of Monitorul Societatii Filatelice Romane, Der Bucarester Philatelist, Curierul Marcilor Postale, etc. Romanian Philatelic Society was established on the 8th of December 1891. Its first manager, Dimitrie C. Butculescu, organized the first philatelic exhibition in his own house. Throughout the years, many philatelic exhibitons were organized in various cities of the country. In 1990 the Romanian Philatelists’ Association becomes the Romanian Philatelic Federation. It organized many stamp exhibitions in Bucharest and other cities, which were extremely appreciated by its viewers. The stamps, old and unique postal cards will always be the center of attention for the collectors.
The only Romanian museum dedicated to stamp collections and the postal service’s history is the National Philatelic Museum.